As usual Manchester United continue to be linked with player after player and the latest is a young 20 year old German winger who has no shortage of high profile admirers who are all seemingly rather interested in signing the young starlet who is the current flavour of the month. The player we are referring to is Bayer Leverkusen and Germany international winger Julian Brandt who has caught the eye of German giants Bayern Munich who are reportedly tracking the starlet with serious intent. Also credited with a serious interest are other Premier League clubs like Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton.
Tottenham got an up-close and personal look at the continually impressing Brandt as he played in the two games of their Champions League qualifying group where they learned that he can operate on both flanks but also has the versatility to play in a central role too.
To add a bit more detail to Julian Brandt’s profile:
- he has played for the national team on four occasions already – 2 friendlies and 2 World Cup qualifiers
- he represented Germany at the Olympics helping them get to the Gold medal game in Brazil and coolly scored his spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out after crunching the crossbar in regular time
- he was a big part of Leverkusen qualifying for the Champions League last season as he had a run of scoring in 6 games in a row to help solidify their top 4 finish
- despite early interest from giants Bayern he opted to stay loyal to Leverkusen and continue his development there
- he once worked as an office administrator before he was convinced he was gonna make it at the top level so he is a humble guy
German boss, Joechim Low is a big fan and thinks Brandt is set to play a big future role in the national side and as ESPNFC.com reported Low had this to say about the winger to German publication tagesspiegel.de,
“He’s a player who can find solutions for one-on-one situations,”
“You can play against defensive teams with them [players].”
German legend Rudi Voeller has also called Brandt, “one of the most talented players in German football.” So it seems Julian Brandt has made a serious impression on some of the most powerful people in German football so it is hard to argue with the talent that Brandt has at his disposal when he has received the endorsements he has. It remains to be seen if it is the right time in Jose Mourinho’s eyes to make a move for the player or if a player who seems rather mature and balanced for his tender years would think that a move to Manchester United would serve him best now when he declined a move to Bayern Munich.